The Federal Government has spent almost $10 billion on offshore processing, mandatory detention and other border protection policies since 2013, according to a report by aid organisations Save the Children and Unicef.
The report, , estimates the Government will spend almost $6 billion on offshore processing, mandatory detention, and other border protection policies over the next five years.
The Commission reported that it costs:
- The cost of detaining people seeking asylum in Australia and supporting those in the community while they wait for an outcome on their application continues to be over $1 billion each year. Refugee Council of Australai
- $400,000 a year to hold an asylum seeker in offshore detention;
- $239,000 to hold them in detention in Australia;
- less than $100,000 for an asylum seeker to live in community detention; and,
- around $40,000 for an asylum seeker to live in the community on a bridging visa while their claim is processed. Full report https://ab.co/2sD1HaO